Re: Veneration, Malkioni, Brithini (was Happy Easter)

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:39:23 -0000

Alchemy is really a separate art from Sorcery, it seems. However, I think there might be some bits and pieces on Alchemy via Lankor Mhy in ST.

The runes fit in very well with alchemical processes and thought. The Great Art and its more sophisticated users are probably something that Sorcerer Knights might be able to cover, though?

> I was also struck by another thought while reading Nicks page, where
> he discusses the similarities between Malkioni heroquesting and the
> pendragon "mythos" - green and black knights and so forth. I am
> reminded of Tim Powers book Last Call, which employed the very
> abstract characters of the tarot - the hierophant, the magician - as
> powers in themselves. Is it plausible that one technique used by
> Malkioni sorcerers, or perhaps the amateur, would be tarot-like
> depictions of abstract personalities, as a substitute representation
> of real or projected personalities?

Not that we've heard of _so_ far. It may be that things like the Tarot are getting too close to Real World analogs for players comfort. However, with the Heortling material being done at a rapid pace and the Lunars being dealt with (as it were), I suspect that the West will be getting more air-time and focus on its culture. I'd not be surprised to see a tarot-y tool used in the Western mindset. The West seems to be about the right level social evolution to start to come up with such things. I feel that they might be too Rennaisance for many areas.

Jeff