Re: Re: Veneration, Malkioni, Brithini

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:46:00 -0400

Peter Larsen wrote:

> community support. I'd think that would be a disadvantage in
> Glorantha. I
> suppose the Brithini Zabburi/(Farmer/Soldier/Talar) might be much
> higher
> than for the other Sorcerous peoples, possibly because their systems
> can be
> codified and transmitted much more efficiently to students. I also
> suppose
> (as Mr. Kyer points out) that the average Zzaburite is considerably
> more
> powerful than other sorcerors and wizards by virtue of having
> practiced
> since Arkat was in short pants. Perhaps they have other ways to spread
> the

Good image that. But some have been around even longer. Some have been around since the Ice Age. A sorcerer can work up some pretty good skills just staying alive that long. A sorcerer who can kick out a 10w4 or more in a grimoire or two is bad news. And while a Zzaburi will have it in Sorcery abilities, Soldiers will have it in Close Combat/Ranged Combat, Farmers of course farm at ungodly (!) levels. Worse, these folks were preceeded by even more powerful sorcererous entities/races, if I understand some of the earlier postings.

With that sort of skill being around among the powerful, its little wonder that Brithos is on the Hero Plane these days. The power level certainly qualifies for this. Brithos is the Orlanthi Scorcer Town, I suppose. Not a place I care to visit lightly, even as a Malkioni.

> magical wealth around. I confess complete ignorance here, but there
> should
> be some way to provide communal magical effects or other "blessing
> analogs."
>
> Peter Larsen

I'd use special spells/Rituals on specific individuals boosted by community participation. That gets rid of our huggle-wuggly feel good communal blessings and gets us some high-grade precision magic. I like my Brithini ice-cold, practical and very, very scary. To them, you are just another resource to be used or discarded at need. But folks may differ.

Jeff