Re: How long does it take to learn sorcery?

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:12:05 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> I'd like to hear how young are people apprenticed to learn sorcery /
> wizardry? How long does it take for a student to reach Adept level on
> the average? Is the training in the best "all-day, every-day" style, or
> will the young characters have a chanse to learn other things?
>
> Also, is it possible to learn simple spells before actually mastering
> the paradigms and principles of the school of sorcery? Is the first x
> years just learning the principles before the student can cast his/her
> first spell?

Many of these questions are answered by Sandy Peterson's sorcery rules. There's a copy of Phil Hibb's site at http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/sandysorcery.html

While the rules are for runequest, some extrapolation is possible.

Roughly an apprentice must learn the basics before learning spells. I'm not sure how to translate into hw-rules off the top of my head, but I'd suggest that 'must have a mastery in Sorcery Magic before learning any grimoires' is probably close.

Time taken to pass this stage is more difficult to assess, but a year or more to learn the basics, then another year per spell mastered seems not unreasonable. Given that HW sorcerors know grimoires instead, I'd reckon that apprenticeship is likely to last one year per spell in the grimoire, plus one year.

Hope this helps,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net