Re: Cambridge

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:42:53 -0400

Jane Williams wrote:

> Now, there's an idea! Would your Sog City mob do ceremonies in a
> language they
> didn't understand, with mistakes having rather more significant
> results?

I don't know about Sog City (but if its got 'study material' that old, I'd think it'd be a certainty) but I think that half-trained liturgists out in the backwoods villages would. It certainly happened in the Dark Ages of Europe -- village priests knew the prayers by rote. I suspect it would be likely in the non-Hrestoli segements of Malkion as I suspect that Hrestoli would have competitive exams....

(Padre, the village sheep all turned blue! What happened?) (Uh... It.. its a curse from our enemies, the Sheep Folk. We must all go back to church and pray for Malgeion's blessings!)

I'm also thinking that a bunch of very evil folks might take over the religion of some backwater village in this way -- I seem to recall this as a very fun encounter from Darklands. A decade later, I still love that game still.

Jeff