RE: Tricksters Leaving the path

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:18:51 -0700

Nick Brooke says to

me:
>> Orlanth gave Eurmal his protection. You can keep Tricksters off your
>> Tula ... but once the Trickster has been admitted to the clan, they
>> have a relationship with the clan chief that breaking is a very great
>> disrespect to Orlanth. It can do the Chief's rulership magics much
>> good if he does not act like Orlanth.
>
>In myths, Orlanth beat and abused Eurmal, and allowed others to do so.

        This is part of the legitimate relationship, though. I was thinking more along the lines of outlawing the trickster, or killing him/her. Being called to Eurmal is a little like getting the Mark of Cain -- you are cursed but also protected. I suspect that Eurmali are as severed from their kin than Humakti (no one wants to be responsible for a trickster, except the clan chief who has to be). See what handling Death does to you?

        So a trickster is probably not welcome on most tulas. If they are invited, the community has very specific rights and prohibitions towards them. I suppose tricksters paradoxically are surrounded by fairly rigid ceremonial rules which they (of course) try to twist to their advantage. After all, no chief wants to accidentally accep a trickster.

>Don't get cocky, little Trickster... :-)

        Isn't getting cocky what tricksters do? Or, as we learned from the recent myth, going off half (or slightly less) cocked.

Peter Larsen