RE: Calendar oddities

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:49:54 +0100

Gian wrote:

> OT or nOT, for a lot of time the beginning of the year in RW was in
> April (on the 25th of March, if IRC).

Anyone who knows any Latin or Romance languages, check out those wacky month names:

	September = "7th month" (now 9th)
	October = "8th month" (now 10th)
	November = "9th month" (now 11th)
	December = "10th month" (now 12th)

It would have been even more obvious without Julius and Augustus Caesar mucking up the old calender (Quintilis/Sextilis as old names of July and August, if memory serves). But it's still pretty blatant.

> So to say that the mess which is present in Gloranthan calendar is
> just a trifle if compared to the one in our real world one, even if
> we are rarely aware of it.

Yep. And I don't think there is that much mess in the Gloranthan calendar, FWIW. I have more difficulty with the different year-lengths (and with people who don't believe in long, dark winter nights) than with the "fifth season".

> BTW, in Pamaltela Sacred Time is in the same time than in Genertela,
> right?

Right. Although whether they celebrate the same or similar things then is anyone's guess. Sacred Time is the Spring Equinox, which is the same all over Glorantha. (No northern / southern hemisphere malarky here).

Note also that summer in Genertela is the same as summer in Pamaltela (i.e. no nonsense about the Sun going south in Winter to the southlands).

Cheers, Nick