Re: Re: THis may seem stupid but

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:58:32 +1000

Andy
:
> > Is it possible for a x-lunar to continue his worship to his lunar
> > god if he is living within a hortling clan ?

*Anything* is possible in Glorantha, deciding whether or not it is probable is why we have campaigns. :)

An 'x-lunar' - I guess you mean retired soldier or official - Yarnafal you said? He would be fine in Sartarite cities and even in colonia among the 'slave' tribes. He may be accepted for a short time even among free tribes or rebel clans if presents himself by their rules - personal honour, fearlessness and appropriate boasting. As soon as he defends/acts on behalf of the Empire, or does something 'chaotic' (like mention Temertain or cut his meat with a knife) however, his welcome will usually turn to violence. Prexisting relationships, past favours or mutual advantage will all count of course. Orlanthi are *always* pragmatic opportunists, even when they're not.

If he's lived long enough as a YT to 'retire' he's obviously learned a certain amount of restraint, and an ability to 'look the other way' when necessary.

Even if 'at peace' with the clan, he's unlikely to ever be part of clan life. His gods are different - overt worship would be seen as a hostile act. His law is different. Even if he takes partners, they will not usually be regarded as Heortling marriages - what's the use of marriage if his kin are to far away to assist when called upon.

[Also, IMG many Lunars are lactose intolerant and don't consume dairy products - so Heortlings *smell* in ways they don't even register (like westerners in some parts of Asia or Africa).]

I have a long-term Lunar trader character who lives upland on a Far Place stead. He gets on reasonably well with the clan despite being Pelorian, Lunar, rich, and a sorcerer to boot! Shacking up with the local lawspeaker hasn't really helped, it's just complicated clan politics enormously. He's been there so long now that the Lagerwater clans are just about kin, but he's still very careful never to be around during moots and ceremonies, to do his own religious bits in complete privacy, and to avoid getting into fights even though he could cream half the fyrd if he had too. The trading temperament (and his willingness to sell whet stones and armour) have made it just about possible for him to survive.

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

For every thing that lives is holy, life delights in life; Because the soul of sweet delight can never be defil'd. - William Blake.