Yinkin the Beocat

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:03:26 +0300 (EET DST)

Beocat

by the Old English epic Beowulf�s Unknown Author�s Cat (Modern English verse translation by the Editor�s Cat)

Brave Beocat, brood kit of Ecgthmeow,
Hearth-pet of Hrothgar in whose high halls He mauled without mercy many fat mice,
Night did not find napping nor snack-feasting. The wary war-cat, whiskered paw-wielder, Bearer of the burnished neck-belt, gold-braided collar-band, Feller of fleas, fatal, too, to ticks,
The work of wonder-smiths, woven with witches� charms, Sat on the throne-seat his ears like sword-points Upraised, sharp-tipped, listening for peril-sounds, When he heard from the moor-hill howls of the hell-hound, Gruesome hunger-grunts of Grendel�s Great Dane, Deadly doom-mutt, dread demon-dog.
Then boasted Beocat, noble battle-kitten, Bane of barrow-bunnies, bold seeker of nest-booty, "If hand of man unhasped the heavy hall-door And freed me to frolic forth to fight the fang-bearing fiend, I would lay the whelpling low with lethal claw-blows; Fur would fly and the foe would taste death-food. But resounding snooze-noise, stern slumber-thunder, Nose-music of men snoring mead-hammered in the wine-hall, Fills me with sorrow-feeling for Fate does not see fit To send some fingered folk to lift the firm-fastened latch That I might go grapple with the grim ghoul-pooch." Thus spake the mouse-shredder, hunter of hall-pests, Short-haired Hrodent-slayer, greatest of the pussy-Geats.

  ***

Found by my ladyfriend Suvi, so I don't know the URL to this epic. But it speaks for itself.

You started it John :)

        -Adept