Re: Question about battles in 1619 &1620

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:02:31 +1200

Dick Kingman:

>Is there any published (or otherwise) information on the Lunar campaign
>against Kethela and Hendrikiland in 1619 and 1620? I have read the short
>section in King of Sartar (p. 148-149).

The only other information is Dragons Past.

Volsaxi Campaign (1619). The Lunar army invaded northern Hendriki lands and took the city of Karse.

Conquest of Heortland (1620). The Lunar army decisively beat the Hendriki army in battle and accepted their surrender.

The battle skill modifiers (for the RQ2 battle that determine how well you did) are:

Volsaxi Campaign: Lunar Victory = -15%; Hendriki defeat = -10%

Hendrikiland Conquered: Lunar Victory = +50%; Hendriki defeat = +50%.

Note that the above sums were _added_ to the number rolled (on a percentile roll with the higher score being worse off).

So the conquest of Karse was an easy affair while the conquest of Heortland was a bloody affair on both sides (by way of comparison, this is worse than the Building Wall debacle, equal to the Sartarite defeat during the Conquest of Sartar and to the Holy Country Defeat at Greymane's hands and only surpassed by the Telmori-induced Maboder mortality statistics).

> From that I gather the only major field
>battles may have been in early 1619 against the army of Volsaxland and
>sometime in 1620 against the whatever forces may have been raised against
>the Lunars in Hendrikiland.

IMO there would have been an initial engagement with the Lunar army and Volsaxi forces but the Volsaxi would have broken off the engagement rather than suffer heavy losses. Instead the Volsaxi trusted in the worship of Hendreik to keep them free (and it worked when the Crimson Bat was repelled at Whitewall).

As for the invasion of Heortland, I get the impression of a carefully prepared battle (complete with Heortland Knights charging Lunar Hoplites) with heavy losses on both sides. The Lunar Commander doesn't emerge with much credit or else his name would have been noted.

--Peter Metcalfe