Re: Writing Hero Narratives

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:15:01 -0400

Tim Ellis wrote:

>Very good, especially the first paragraph, which could be used with
>very little alteration however the individual narrator plans to help
>players create characters...

I wrote the entire thing up intending it as an aid for those of my players who had never done narrative-style character creation before. I admit to a preference for the second paragraph, as that is the meat and bones of the piece. The first is really just a lenghty way of saying "Don't Panic!" in large, friendly letters across the the cover. :)

>Since I believe you can never have too many examples - Is their any
>chance you could post these, or stick them in the files section, or
>something?

CUNNING MERLAR [created by Robert Schroeder]

Cunning Merlar is an acrobatic warrior and Yinkin devotee, adored by women for his catlike grace and charm. Tenacious and resourceful, he discovered a secret path to Kero Fin's Hall. Captured there, unpredictable Merlar cheated death, escaped his bonds and, with his trio of alynx followers, stole the Bad Dogs' Bark from the Gagarthi warrior Enhinga Six-To-Kill. As chief scout, he locates foes, evaluates fortifications, gathers useful rumors and is skilled in outdoor survival. Merlar became renowned as a freedom fighter among the Tarsh Exile community, whose language and customs he was taught. He has sworn to reclaim Yinkin's Breath.

HEORDAN KEEN-EYE [created by Michael Coyne]

Accompanied by Rostab and Leikan, his shieldmen, warrior, god-talker and Humakt devotee Heordan Keen-eye's strong arm is ready to aid all who oppose the Lunar oppressors. Living amongst the Sartar exile community, he learned mounted combat and the customs and languages of Prax and Heortland. Able to train and lead troops, and gather military intelligence, Heordan is renowned as a war leader. His wisdom, persuasiveness and impartiality have allowed him to negotiate many alliances. At home, he leads the worship of Humakt and dispenses justice to his people. His only regrets are the loss of Soulcleaver, and his love for Brenna. His geas requires that he abstain from strong drink.

KELULF THE STRONG [created by Jeff Morrison]

Kelulf the Strong, a fearless warrior and Humakt devotee of grim and taciturn demeanor, is disliked by his clanfolk for his belligerence and reputation as a killer. Tireless in his efforts to crush the Lunars and their allies, he questions the honor and courage of all unwilling to rise against them. Skilled in battle, Kelulf prides himself on leading and training the young men of the clan. His quick thinking and ruthlessness have saved his life more than once. Kelulf is a member of the Cold Wind movement and answers directly to Sarostip Cold-eye, its leader. Given opportunity, Kelulf must always deliver a death-blow to any fallen opponent.

NAGLEFANG WIND-RUNNER [created by Peter Ion]

Naglefang, god-talker and Helamakt devotee, is hot-tempered and intimidating, his piercing gaze ever seeking to find flaw in others. Driven by his hatred of the Lunars, he seeks their downfall with fanatic zeal. Needing little sleep and possessed of keen night vision, Naglefang stole a copy of the Book of Drastic Resolutions from Lunar Headquarters. The blasphemous knowledge he gained reading it scarred him horribly, and he is feared by his clanfolk. Though nimble and fleet-footed, in a crisis Naglefang relies on his rapid healing and swordsmanship. From Mad-blood Hrolf the Varanorlanthi, he learned how to Run Like The Wind.

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and