Re: Invisible Orlanth

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:37:45 -0000

Gian asked:
>> Saranko was among the Brolians and noticed their tradition
>> of Tarumath (High Storm).  He studied it and created his own
>> magical tradition in mockery of the Magi...

> So Saranko does not fulfill any prophecy or precise intent by
> bringin' back a new religion with one of the worst enemies of
> Rufelza's as patron? He simply mocks the Tarumathi?

Er, no: he uses his knowledge of the Tarumathi tradition to create a new tradition of his own, one which echoes (and therefore mocks) that of the Carmanian Magi (headed by his big brother, Brostangian).

> This is hardly Carmanian, if I interpret correctly.

I don't think you do. He is not mocking the Tarumathi, at all. He may (of course) be fulfilling a prophecy, but he needn't necessarily know that he is doing so.

> Question is: how this IO cult harbrings the herowars?

A few off-the-cuff thoughts:

It could create a schism within the Carmanian Church, the first one they've had since the incorporation of Lunar worship in the early centuries of the Empire.

Moreover, if competition from this "Invisible Orlanth" mob makes the traditional Magi of Carmania revert to a more fundamentalist stand, the result could be *very* bad news for Lunar worship in the West Reaches; and this is true even if the Invisible Orlanth cult itself is not working (covertly or directly) towards this aim. (Saranko could -- quite correctly -- denounce Moon Worship as "un-Carmanian," and dare his elder brother to follow suit: he wins either way).

Finally, anything that creates confusion and distraction in Carmania might open the door for Yolanela's dark schemes to bear fruit: and you don't want to be around when *that* happens!

Cheers, Nick