Re: why is everyone so down on Arkat?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 15:58:50 -0400

Osentalka_at_... wrote:

> Hello Friends,
>
> > Arkat gets a pretty heavy bad rep out of HW so far, although does
> > appear to be in part a mixed message. Why is Arkat called the
> > Deceiver, and what do people have against him to have so slandered
> > his name?
>
> He comes from the west, joins the Heortlings and their God Humakt, but
> then
> betrays them in becoming a troll and joining Zorak Zoran.
>
> Isn�t that deceiving enaugh?

A few others:

Laid waste to everything between the Western Ocean and Dragon Pass south of the Rockwoods. His buddy Talor did the same NORTH of the Rockwoods but he's actually still well liked up in Loksalm.

Slaughtered and corrupted the most fertile land in Genertela (Dorastor)

Destroyed deities and spirits which whole peoples relied on for survival -- leaving them to starve.

Brought Sorcery to the Heortlings. (joy!)

Brought Pagan Practices to the Malkioni. (double joy!)

The bringing trolls to everyone seems to have been well covered by others in this discussion.

Discovered and categorized the techniques for HeroQuesting that were later used and abused by the Godlearners -- so that whole episode can be laid at Arkat's door too!

Stole sacred myths and gave them to outisders who misused them. He did this a lot.

Oh, and the elves (who sided with Nysalor) were burned and slaughtered by him. They have long memories. Same goes for the Dwarfs.

The Dragonnewts probably DO like him, which among many peoples who hate dragons, is another strike against Arkat.

Actually, the Trolls like him a fair bit. He tricked EVERYONE. Many trolls believe he was a troll reborn as a human to do all the things he did and bring secrets home. Of course, more conservative Trolls dont' like him because he brought all these strange and un-trollish secrets home.

> Related question:
> If Arkat is the deceiver for most of the Heortlings, why does his name
> (Arkat
> / Argrath) still means liberator?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andr�

Languages don't change that readily? Words go in and out of fashion? And, of course, it could have been "Argrath (spit)" in the 700's.

Arkat is a good example of 'to save the village, we had to destroy it' -- but on a much, much larger scale.

Jeff Kyer