Re: Re: characters played

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 08:36:17 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 1 May 2001 janjero_at_... wrote:

<snip>
> > Signed,
> > A lucky beginner (or a well supported one at least).
>
> I envy this poster: but she has a significant advantage over my
> situation. She lives in an english speaking community.
> In Italy (and in my family and ring of friends) the fact that
> HeroWars and KoDP are in english is a major obstacle.
> For my wife it is a great obstacle (she plays Warcraft, for instance,
> because there the language is no problem, but in KoDP you simply
> can't).
>
> This is not a critique to anyone. I like KoDP and use it as a
> Gloranthan Lore Encyclopaedia, but my situation is not that simple.
>
> Ciao,
> Gian

I wonder if the situation in Italy differs so much from the one in Scandinavia. Here everybody speaks English as the second or third langauage. And since the actual gaming would (presumably) be done in italian, I would think only the GM needs to be fluent in English.

And when I was a kid, starting my RPG hobby, that "fluent" was stretched rather far. Not so much by me, since I had studied under and english teacher, but by some other preteen RPG-enthusiasts.

        -Adept