RE: Re: why is everyone so down on Arkat?

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:55:33 +1000

> Uurgh, I hate that. the real world has that problem in spades; in
> RPG I;d much rather just get the straight dirt and know that I am
> making informed decisions, instead of trying to piece together which
> bits are/may or are not/may not be "true". I have no interest in
> excavating another writers arcane easter egg hunt. I don;t mind the
> game world having mul;tiple and contradictopry information, but it
> annoyes me when a bunch opf contradictory stories become your ONLY
> information.

I think this is one of the extreme cases - Arkat is one case that springs to mind where the story and the myth have gotten this confused.

I mean, any number of Arkat successors claim to know the truth. After 1000 years in-game, for a GM it probably doesn't really matter what really happened. The truth is relative and contradictory stories are both true.

The fun part of the modern Arkati is that there are a whole bundle of them and each of them reckons they are the true successors to Arkat whereas none of them have the true story.

Ian Thomson has a writeup of the Old Arkat Alliance on his site, that's another take on it that may appeal to you (http://home.primus.com.au/arkat)

I always got the impression that that was how Arkat was meant to be portrayed. So many contradictions, so many enemies, so many different takes on his story. The events happened 1000 years ago, so unless your game is being run in 700ST, that's all the information anyone in Glorantha has (there are bound to be exceptions...)

Harry.