Re: why is everyone so down on Arkat?

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 10:25:08 -0000

> What's the alternative? Play Vampire where everytime you come with
any
> vaguely good idea or hint of backstory some smart ass says 'oh that
can't
> be true because in obscure book you've never seen it says
different'? I

Well, I'm not saying that the whole backstory has to exist - I have no problem with writing big chunks of "Here Be Dragons" in the narrative prologue. What I dislike is when all the information players of the game have come from subjective sources - because then even as the GM, I don't know what the designers really intended. If I just wanted an open-ended, back-storyless environment I would not have bought an RPG product.

> By having no one great truth, you are free to create your own world
and
> engage your own imagination. Embrace the vagueness!

Yeah, but then why buy RPG products in the first place? If I had the time to write my own world from scratch, I would, but I don't.