Subjective Glorantha? (Warning : longish)

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:28:49 +0300 (EET DST)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Graham Robinson wrote:

> The existence of a quantifiable truth that can be (but has not
> been) discovered is one of the basic postulates of science. Whether you
> believe this or not is a matter for personal faith, and wildly off topic.
>
> Personally I believe it is true for our world and false for glorantha.

I don't like this approach much. I understand the need for subjective writings and subjective "truths". But even Glorantha is not a totally subjective world (and please don't comment on Glorantha being a makebelieve world, and thus subjective).

Glorantha has logic and structure, and rules that bypass cultural limits and magical worldviews. What is different with Glorantha from earth, is not the subjective nature of truth, but the strong effect of belief (or conscious minds) on reality.

So belief in a "false" system of magic, for instance, will make it work to a certain extent, but this does not deny the truth of things that have happened before.

I can see reasons why Greg is reluctant to write "objective" material.

First of all, it would make it much more awkward for him, given the argumentative Gloranthan community, when he, like all authors, figures a better angle on something he has written, and wants to chance it.

Secondly. I've seen a huge amount of bad gamemastering, with GM:s handing out the inner workings of a world to the players, whose characters should have no clue about them. GM:s are lazy, and don't take the time to write up subjecive truths, and cultural worldviews.

Thirdly, and this includes the two previous points. I think Greg want's to keep us on our toes, and to think about the world we game in more than if we would just run it out of box and module, D&D style.

  ***

Having said all that, I still want to figure out the inner workings of Glorantha, behind the subjective worldwievs. A totally subjective world is meaningless (you can figure out the reason why as a filosofical excercise). I see the written Glorantha as a holistic and coherentistic whole, and withing it there's rhyme and reason, and a logic to how Glornatha runs.

And remember. This is NOT saying that individual GM:s and narrators aren't free to pick and choose, and make _their_ world exactly as they want it to be. Greg has said this in many enough ways over the years.

yours,

	-Mikko 'Adept' Rintasaari
	 Gloranthaphile

PS. I realize this belongs more to GD, but the topic came up here. Apologies if this bored or insulted somebody. That was definitely not my intention. The discussion was just getting very onesided.