Re: Further thoughts on Glorantha

From: simonh_at_...
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 16:49:28 -0000

I draw a sharp distinction between the Generaly Accepted Glorantha here and Glorantha as it is presented in any of my campaigns. I even draw a sharp distinction between Glorantha as it has been presented in different campaigns of my own.

My advice is to present Glorantha in your own games the way you want it to be. It is after all your game. The advantage of a heavily detailed world like Glorantha is that a lot of work has already been done. Take advantage of that where you want to, or where it's relevent to your game, and just don't worry about the rest.

In one game I ran I wrote up Clearwine as a small town next to a river, with a wall round it and a small fort. I even mapped it out. later i discovered that the description in Glorantha : Crucible of the Hero Wars says it's a hill fort. Oh dear, what a pitty, never mind. Similarly I've run games in Karse before and although I own the RPG supplement for Carse (which the Gloiranthan city of Karse is supposed to be very similar to) I decided to use the Thieves World city pack as my starting point. That's my prerogative as GM.

Simon Hibbs