Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 17:05:01 -0000

Jeff Kyer wrote:

> It was brought to my attention by a player that an outlaw cannot
> call upon Orlanth. And this would explain WHY Gagarth is
so 'popular' among the disenfranchised.

I noticed that recently as well - its a great plot device for villaneous Orlanthi

> Would this mean that the outlaw cannot use any Orlanth/Ernalda cult
> powers until he/she rejoins a community or until he is readopted or
> founds a new clan?

I think it depends on the type of outlawry. Don't forget Orlanth himself was outlawed. I don't think that political 'lesser' outlawry carries this restriction, only outlawry that stems from the 'bootless' crimes - the crimes for which the whole community will experience divine wrath unless the perpetrator is found. In this case outlawry protects the comunity and the withdrawal of Orlanth's magic is part of the punishment.

Even if your players were outlawed without the promise of return, did they commit a crime of this order. If not I expect they can still worship Orlanth. However without community support such worship will be harder when they want to do something.

Even if your heroes were given no hope of return I think that this is the more important factor - their outlawry is still lesser, just permanent (but maybe if the Lunars are overthrown).

Could you clarify the nature of the 'full' outlawry?

Ian Cooper