Re: Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 16:54:47 -0700

> I might disagree with Roderick on this. I say "might" because I don't
know
> how this developed during game play - however, if a clan is willing to
expel

We're all in the Dark together :-)

> the players, not just lesser outlawry, but actually permanently expel them
> from the community, then I'd say they cannot call upon the gods of that
> community. Outlawry is the greatest punishment the Heortlings can inflict
> upon their own people - it is effectively a death sentence.

I see a difference between severing a connection to the wyter(s) of the clan/community (lesser outlawry), and severing all connections to Orlanth & the rest of the Storm Tribe (Greater outlawry). What Jeff (the *other* one) described sounded more like a political decision ("get those guys away from us before the Lunars come down on *our* necks for what *they* do) than a case of "they have broken the most sacred of our laws, there can be no other punishment than exile, even death is too good for them." Kin-severing rather than full outlawry sounds like a more palatable alternative. I offer it as a possible solution for the clan to take. This will allow the player heroes to keep their magic, while shielding the clan from being "linked" magically to the miscreants.

Of course, if the heroes killed the chief & his family from ambush with poisoned arrows while casting black magic, then death *is* too good for them.

> I'm uncertain whether lesser outlawry severs one from the gods of the
> community - maybe it does on a temporary basis, maybe it doesn't at all.

A lesser Outlawry does not sever one's connections to the gods, just to the community wyters. You can certainly go join another clan/tribe and maintain your worship with nary a hiccough.

RR