Re: the fyrd

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:21:15 -0400

gamartin_at_... wrote:

> A thought came to me while broowsing HW-Rules:
>
> TR states that the fyrd "never" leaves the tula. Would this be an
> Orlanthi Never like the Orlanthi All?
>
> I imagine this is the kind of issue that only occurs at the tribal
> level or higher, but I was wondering what folk think the process
> would be for raising large scale forces, should the need arise to
> fight a pitched battle.
>
> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> [www.debticated.com]

this may have been discussed before.

The fyrd never leaves the tula except in times of war. Since the fyrd is every man, woman and alynx who is capable of effective fighting, the fyrd's departure leaves the clan very, very vulnerable to cattle rustlers, raiders and outlaws. Only the young, the elderly, crafters and non-combatant women stay behind. many holy people will accompany the fyrd. Usually the fyrd only leaves to raid their neighbors, as its a just a "day trip." The window of vulnerablity is small.

Its a momentous event. For the fyrd to leave for an extended period happens only in time of war -- tribal or otherwise. The last time the fyrds left en-masse was during Kallyr's rebellion. Many of them did not return -- those clans are quite weak.

Jeff