Re: the fyrd

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 09:35:03 -0500

At 02:15 PM 5/4/01 -0000, you wrote:
>A thought came to me while broowsing HW-Rules:
>
>TR states that the fyrd "never" leaves the tula. Would this be an
>Orlanthi Never like the Orlanthi All?
>
>I imagine this is the kind of issue that only occurs at the tribal
>level or higher, but I was wondering what folk think the process
>would be for raising large scale forces, should the need arise to
>fight a pitched battle.

        I may be totally wrong here, but I think the fyrd is not so much a group of fighters but a situation. When most of the fighting adults are gatherered in the traditional manner to defend the tula under the umbrella of the fyrd wyter, they are the fyrd. You could take many of those same people and muster them under the war banner of the clan (with its owm wyter) and fight a very similar battle not defending the tula, and they would not "technically" be the fyrd.

Peter Larsen