Re: Re: Outlawry & Orlanth

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 14:34:03 -0400

ian_hammond_cooper_at_... wrote:

> > Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
> > I see a difference between severing a connection to the wyter(s)
> >of the clan/community (lesser outlawry), and severing all
> connections to Orlanth & > > the rest of the Storm Tribe (Greater
> outlawry).
>
> Agreed. I think Greater outlawry is not just from your clan but from
> the Storm Tribe as well and is reserved for the crimes listed in TR
> asbeing so great that they cannot be compensated i.e. bootless. And
> you may have to face agents of reprisal as well.

This is, on reflection, probably right. However, it would probably look pretty dogdy when some official says, "So, you outlawed them?" "Yes. For six season." "Right. Crucify the clan. Start with the alynxes."

> >What Jeff (the *other* one) described sounded more like a political
> >decision ("get those guys away from us before the Lunars come down
> >on *our* necks for what *they* do) than a case of "they have broken
> >the most sacred of our laws,
>
> Agreed - I do believe Roderick and I are in synch on this one - if
> its political its lesser - you are still in the Storm Tribe, but you
> have to live without the community support of your clan.

Yes, thanks for the advice/clarification, guys. The equivalency I am lolking for was a permanent lesser outlawry.

> This was why I was trying to clarify - what did the heroes do -
> commit foul crime against sacred law, or become a political scapegoat.

Does clarifying mean heating over a flame until you melt and all the impurities are spooned away? (Yes, yes! He's clarifying the Lunars. Look at how rich the colour is!) (I really shouldn't watch Iron Chef so much)

> Without this distinction we could be in the interesting position that
> Kallyr and Bryan might be classified as greater outlaws and loose
> Storm Tribe magic.

They have their own tribe/clan. And Kallyr has the Kingdom's regalia and the Iron Ring of Sartar. I'm not sure you could outlaw them.

> Incidentally if Jeff's characters are starting a new clan it is also
> reminiscent of a bloodline splitting off to form a new clan, so as to
> prevent kinstrife.
>
> Ian Cooper

Yep. However, what I wanted was to create a very strong reason to WANT to be a part of a clan/tribe/community. Losing Storm Tribe magic till they were a part of a community again seemed a good way to do it -- and illustrates teh difference between the community oriented Hero Wars and the more individualistic RQ campaign that preceeded it.

I am also thinking of the outlaw-ish clans/bloodlines which leave a clan under duress or threat (clan or tribe splits violently) and then settle elsewhere. Tehy are not outlaws, though they may be greatly disliked.... I think that one of the sample clans in KODP is like that.

Jeff