Arkats [Re: Two Jeffs]

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:22:32 -0400

A post from Issaries on the Six Arkats.

I like the duck especially.

Jeff

If the discussion has not now gone past me, you can post the following from
me.

Steve

>Incidentally on the Arkat thread - I always wonder if Arkat is a
>compilation of multiple individuals and that Arkat is a title given
>to liberators who fought against Gbaji.

That is in fact exactly true, to an extent. There was a The Arkat, even as
there is a The Argrath. But, like Argrath, many of the actions of Arkat's
companions later come to be attributed to him. We know that Arkat had six
such close companions, called (in Troll Gods) Arkat's Six. (Detail-minded
readers will note that the list given in Troll Gods of Arkat's Six mentions
seven distinct individuals!)

>From various sources, I believe that Arkat's Six is a changing group -- his
Six at the beginning are not the same as his Six at the end, in Dorastor.
Can't comment on the former, but it seems likely to me that his final Six
include a Brithini, a Hrestoli, an Orlanthi, a Humakti, a Troll, and one other (IMO, a duck, but that is just me). We know that the Brithini is probably Seralos Deguys, the troll is Kwaratch Kang, and the Humakti is Makla Mann. I might be able to dredge up some unpublished sources that name
the Slontan Orlanthi and the Hrestoli, I just have to remember where I have
them.

>However it never seems to be the sort of thing that comes in a game
>(yet - he is due to return in the HW though), so its a GD issue I guess.

I have long thought that a campaign set in the early 300s, eventually culminating in the Gbaji Wars, wouuld be even more fun than a game set right before the Hero Wars.

Steve

Stephen Martin
Issaries, Inc.� 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648�� Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <http://www.herowars.com/>www.HeroWars.com