Re: Tula

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:08:44 -0000

This is covered in Thunder Rebels under 'Your Clan' and describes the typical layout of a Heortling clan.

> I assume theres the Chiefs "village", often surrounded by at least a
> wooden palisade. The chiefs hall (longhouse) in the center, and
> temples, crafters and kin within the palisade.

Sometimes. In more turbulent times, a chief's stead would be fortified (hence the phrase 'pallisade defender). But with the Lunars around in Sartar, many of the unruly clans are not allowed to rebiuld their walls. Of course, Lunar sympathizers are allowed to do this -- it prevents them being easily assaulted by their less assimilated neighbors.

Ring forts, those ancient bygone strongholds, are usually too big for the village they hold and are used for the whole clan or tribe's security in time of need.

> The Tula is big though, so they can't be all grouped together. From
what
> I remember from TR at the moment, I seem to recall that Thanes (or
at
> least the nobles... earls?) can have their own longhouses, and their
own
> little villages surrounding them.

Yes. This would be more or less the case. Most steads are not a single longhouse but a cluster of large and small buildings with about 80 people living there.

> So do we have the tula dotted with half a dozen, more or less
fortified,
> "villages"? Do the cottars live within also?

Some do and some don't. Most heortlings live in these little hamlets with the chief's stead being a villlage -- that's where all the specialty crafters like the Smith and the brewer live.

Jeff