Re: Argraths

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 08:39:14 -0700

Peter

>I remember a passage from Joseph Cambell's "Hero With a Thousand Faces" where
>he describes what happens to the hero in his/her elder years. (Don't have my
>copy handy so I cannot give a page number.) The hero is fine while she
>struggles against the tyrant, but once victory is hers she becomes the tyrant
>Holdfast, who clings to the power she has acquired. She becomes, in the end,
>the villain.

While I don't object to your political correctness, changing the gender isn't really correct here. Most of HWaTF is about male myths. There's a great collection of female myths, "Fearless Girls, Wise Women, and Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales from Around the World" by Kathleen Ragan, which I recommend. It should be a good source for people looking for feminine heroquests.

David Dunham dunham_at_...
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein