Argraths in the HW

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 14:37:23 EDT

Currently in my campaign there are:

Argrath Whitebull - who in 1627 controls Prax and supports Kallyr.

Argrath Dragonfriend - who holds Far Point and the Knight Fort Region and the only two trained magical units in the Sartari array.

Argrath Venharlsson - the "Jesus" of the Argraths, a man of huge magical power, supported by the Thunderbrothers but the least capable leader of men of the lot.

Argrath Maniskisson - Sacred King of the Exiles and betrothed of the the Feathered Horse Queen. He is arrogant and capable and will likely be King after Kallyr, if only because the other Argraths don't want someone likeable on the throne.

Argrath Sharpsword - Protector of Karse, the Volsaxi and the Choralinthor bay region as well as the norther parts of Heortland. He commands a powerful Wolf Pirate fleet, close to Harreks in size. He hates Kallyr and is actively plotting her downfall.

Other Argraths will likely arise as well.

Kallyr, in my campaign, will rule till 1630, when she kills Gunda and is then killed herself by Harrek. Harrek uses her blood to light the flame of Sartar, becomes King himself untill sorely wounded at the Battle of Heroes that same year, after which he leaves for a healing heroquest and Maniskisson is likely to take the throne.

The real power in Sartar comes from the Argrath or "Liberty" council, made up of all recognised as Argraths. They vote and move armies and magics to suit the power politics of the region. It takes many years of hero wars till only one Argrath is supreme.

My view is that multiple Argraths makes for darn interesting gaming with excellent political opportunities at the higher levels of play. My players rarely fight, they spend much of their time battling the other Argraths for influence and power while holding off the Empire and trying to win support with heroics.

In short, having played for 56 sessions now in the Gwandor campaign, I've found the multiple Argy approach to be the best there is for play and adventure and would recommend it to anyone.

Martin Laurie