Re: Open Seas Ritual

From: janjero_at_...
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:36:49 -0000

> I view Open Seas as primarily an appeasement thing. Lots of naming
of the
> gods and spirits who rule the oceans over which the ship will
travel,
> sacrifices, bargaining and begging for permission to cross safely.

You could see it (I see it, actually) as a mystic act of negation of the Zzaburite spell which closed the oceans first time. A sort of Dormali secret which as a mystic aspect any way (theistic or sorcery) you look at Dormal.
I hope the above is not over-rulesy.

> Those who have not travelled by ship (or possibly just over this
> sea) would have special, extra rituals to undergo, possibly
including a
> ritual dunking in the ocean so that 'the spirits will know his
face'. All
> designed for maximum amusement of the experienced sailors...

I agree. A tasteful bit of folklore, not related at all with the real magics taking place.

> Open seas seems sufficiently widespread that I'd set the resistance
really> low

I think that the problem is not the resistance but the fact that you have to know the secret (mystic aspect and top aspect of Dormali cult) to pass. You can't simply achieve a minor victory: you pass or you don't pass. You know the secret or you don't know it. No way to overcome the Zzaburite godlike resistance in other (known) ways. YGMV. Ciao,
Gian