Re: Open Seas Ritual

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:24:06 -0000

Graham Robinson wrote:
> This doesn't really fit with the number of countries with navies of
>one description or another. I'd go with figures that account for
> about 10%-20% of shipping lost each year through the ritual
> failing.

Fair; I don't have the numbers to do the math, but a ship is a community, the sailors should be able to give support to the celebrant so you need to set the resistance to reflect the support that he/she will be receiving. Ther is also the point that the cpatain/steersman is hopefully ata competent level (say 5-10W). Setting the target numbers this high makes the following happen: You can't just spend a hero point, learn the skill and put to sea - it requires some expertise; larger crews are safer than smaller crews; if the crew gets killed on that dangerous isle more than just crewing the ship could become a problem when leaving; heroes will need to protect the nvaigator/steersman until they get to a level where they could guide the ship.

With these thoughts navies should be practicable, but sea travel not a light undertaking.

Ian Cooper