Re: Re: Open Seas Ritual

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:48:50 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 10 May 2001 bethexton_at_... wrote:

> So you are probably looking at close to a mastery worth of boosts in
> most cases. On top of that, even journeyman level people are
> expected to have 1W in the relevant skills, and I would think that
> ships captains would tend to be higher than that in such an important
> skill--maybe 10W would be typical at the less skilled end. So you
> are rolling using something like 10W2. I guess the appropriate
> resistance then depends on the level of success needed, but 14 sounds
> low to me, off the cuff.

You are, of course, quite right. On the other hand, if it was a routine matter ('okay, you set out to sea for the fourth time tonight. Better make the open seas roll.') I'd assume a competent person (10W) vs. world (14) as a straight roll, making success likely but not guaranteed.

If there were story reasons for playing it out, I might start looking up tables, and sweating details. The point I was trying to make (and this isn't the rules list) is that the resistance is pretty low given that many people regularly sail the seas. Your definition of low is up to you...

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stableyard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net