Re: Lunar Army article

From: janjero_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 06:53:46 -0000

> At 14:01 14/05/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >What, for instance, is the difference between a 'hoplite' and
a 'heavy
> >infantryman'?
>
> >Or a 'line infantryman' and any other sort?
>
> Line is referring to the line regiments. Spear mixed with
> archers (700 to 300), capable of open order for movement and
> closed ranks for combat. Intended to hold off any attackers
> and to shoot nearby regiments. Can't skirmish.

Just my 2 liras: the key difference is in the training each type of soldier receive, not just in the kind of equipment they have got.

Heavy infantry is _trained_ to fight in close formation (e.g. a phalanx) whereas light infantry is _trained_ to fight in a loose order, to pursue, harass, skirmish etc.
In earlier times (I don't know in the Lunar Empire) heavies and line infantry was the bulk of the less trained, light infantry was the elite, the professionals and the most expert at warfare.

Ciao,
Gian