"Line Regiment"

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 13:00:37 -0000

Yes, this was my reading of it too--line in the sense of line of battle, front line, etc. I know I've seen the term used in this sense with regards to military units, but I'm not close to expert enough to quote sources off the top of my head. However Websters does have this to say:
Line (n), def'n 6
e: 1- The combatant forces of an army distinguished from the staff corps and supply services
f: 2- officers of the army belonging to a combatant branch { as in "a line officer" }

I guess this is a case to appeal to the author(s)--what was meant in this case?

--Bryan