Re: RE: Gloranthan Names

From: e-g_at_...
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:41:21 GMT

"Posselt, Theo (US - Foster City)" <TPOSSELT_at_...> writes:

>Brithini: Latin

How about Proto Indo-European? Latin seems far too modern to be the language spoken by the Brithini...

>Firespeech: Hebrew*** (possible replacement: Ancient egyptian?)
>Dara Happan: Sumerian
>Darjiinian: 'soft' sumerian
>New Pelorian: Arabic****

Historically, Sumerian was the national language of Mesopotamia for only a short time: after 2000 BC the people there spoke Semitic languages (the ancestors of Hebrew and Arabic). However, the priests continued to use Sumerian in their prayers and rituals, as a secret or sacred language. That suggests that Sumerian would be a perfect match for Firespeech - assuming that this is the ancient (Golden Age) and "pure" language of Dara Happa.

Leading on from this, I'd suggest that Hebrew is used for the language spoken in Dara Happa during and after the Jenarong Dynasty period - however, names of important people and places in Dara Happa would still be given in Firespeech/Sumerian. The Darjiini can either speak Arabic, or whatever it was that the Philistines spoke, to set up some tension between them and the Dara Happans...

For New Pelorian, you could use a modern Semitic language like Arabic, or Aramaic; personally I'd be inclined to stick with Latin. I assume New Pelorian was invented as a lingua franca to tie the Lunar Empire together, so it doesn't have to be related linguistically to any of the local languages.

>orlanthi languages:
>Ralian: scandinavian

Or gothic?
>Alakoring/sairdite: germanic
>Esrolian: irish/gaelic
>Sartarite: angle/saxon
>Heortland: middle english

>I'm not sure if any gloranthan cultures feel slavic to me. Perhaps some of
>the areas east of Loskalm, I don't know, but so far nothing else.

Endless dark gloomy forests? sounds like Wenelia or Ralios to me...

One more:

Tradetalk: Esperanto

Stephen