Re: "Line Regiment"

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 07:11:57 -0000

Peter has the right of it. A line regiment is basically a thin line of spear backed by a lot of archers introduced in the later DH stage. Most Line Regiments were disbanded or broken to the Garrison Army after the Jannisor rebellion. Some of them still remain good fighting units. For a RW comparison, the 10th century Byzantine infantry regiment is very close and was certainly functional.

> > Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_b...> writes:
> >
> > >Line is referring to the line regiments. Spear mixed with
> > >archers (700 to 300), capable of open order for movement and
> > >closed ranks for combat. Intended to hold off any attackers
> > >and to shoot nearby regiments. Can't skirmish.
> >

> > BTW I read "line regiment" as referring to training and morale.
You