Re: Re: Lunar Army

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:32:38 -0700

One thing to realize is that Greg uses terms indiscriminately - He might use "Medium Infantry" or "Line infantry", "Skirmisher" or "Light Cavalry", etc.

Also, there have been thousands of books written on the subject of Ancient/Medieval warfare - you'll find different answers no matter where you look or ask.

> The difference between 'light infantry' and 'skirmishers'.

Light Infantry traditionally wears no armor whatsoever, and (usually) does not carry much in the way of hand-to-hand weaponry.

Skirmishers are a form of LI, principly intended to throw stuff (Arrows, javelins, and slingstones are traditional...) at the opponent and get out of their way if charged, reforming once the threat is gone. LI (other than skiurmishers) are probably missile troops that aren't intended to be on the front line - if an enemy charged them they would simply flee and not look back! There are instances of light infantry intended for a hand-to-hand role, but they aren't extremely effective when up against more heavily armed foes.

> What exactly a 'highlander' is, militarily speaking (I'd have thought
> they were just light infantry, myself).

A guy from the hills or mountains :-). There is no class of troops regularly called "highlander", but the name comes from the Scots highlanders. Typical attributes are a clan system of muster rather than "regiments"; good mobility, especially in hilly or broken terrain; a prediliction for the all-or nothing charge; and fragile morale - if the charge works, great. If not, the highlanders will probably try to abandon the field.

> 'Loose heavy infantry' (which I thought was an oxymoron, but may
perhaps
> mean heavily armed skirmishers...?)

Heavily armed/armored guys using weapons with wide arcs of use (slashing swords or axes, pole arms, flails...). The area needed for a swinging weapon is much greater than that for pointed sticks, so a phalanx of spearmen will have a much denser formation.

> 'Phalangites' (I'd guess some sort of spear-wielding infantry from
the
> context).

A guy who fights in a phalanx. As I noted earlier, a phalangite can have any level of armor, from buck naked except for a helmet, to metal cuirass, helm and greaves.

> 'Hypaspists' (I can't even begin to guess with this one).

The word means "shield bearer" and they originally formed the Macedonian Royal Guard (Philip II or so). Alexander used them in a number of roles, including fighting in a spear-armed phalanx, and as mountain troops. There is serious arguments about their arms & armor and their tactical usage among scholars of the Ancient period. The seemingly favored description is spear-armed heavy infantry like the hoplite.

Roderick