Re: Lunar Army

From: Svechin_at_...
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 21:32:30 -0000

Usually one equals the other, but there are exceptions. Eg a unit of archers, trained to fire enmasse is still light inf but they might be terrible skirmishers. A horse archer force, typical of the Pentans might well be excellent skirmishers but are also adept in closing for the charge.

Basically light troops, whether mounted or not, are those least equipped and trained for shock action. Mediums are a mix of both usually and heavies rely on shock entirely. Thus it is possible to have heavily armoured mediums and lightly armoured heavies.

> What exactly a 'highlander' is, militarily speaking (I'd have
thought
> they were just light infantry, myself).

More of a medium infantry in that they are capable of the shock component of battle, usually relying on a very intense impact and psychological threat BUT they do not fight in close order by training, rather by the simple expedient of clumping. They are also adept in rough terrain that a standard shock unit would not be able to deal with.

> 'Loose heavy infantry' (which I thought was an oxymoron, but
may perhaps
> mean heavily armed skirmishers...?)

Typically loose heavy infantry are those who are heavily armoured and fight together as a shock grouping, yet are not actually trained to stand as a mass, rather a group of individuals who happen to be together. A huscarl is a good example of this.

> 'Phalangites' (I'd guess some sort of spear-wielding infantry
from the
> context).

Phalangites as opposed to hoplites wield the sarissa type pike and fight with it two handed, as opposed to the hoplites overarm stab.

Basically Hoplites = Greek, Pelandan and DH. Phalangites = Macedonia, Yelmalio.

> 'Hypaspists' (I can't even begin to guess with this one).

Elite heavy infantry who are able to fight enmasse but also excell as individual warriors. The elite of Alexanders army and his Successors. All rounders basically at the heavy end of the spectrum.

Hope that helps a bit.

Martin Laurie