Re: Heortling combat

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:06:19 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 16 May 2001 bernuetz.oliver_at_... wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering about the terms mediums, heavies, etc, in regards to the
> Heortlings. I would characterise the fyrd as being medium infantry and the
> warriors being light heavies. Any hunters around would be light infantry.
> How does this sound to other people?
>
> Oliver

IMO (off the cuff)

Hunters are archers and skirmishers, depending on how they are deployed.

The fyrd is lightly armored heavy infantry (standing in shieldwalls / squares / charging en masse)

The Warriors / Huscarls / Weaponthanes (and some carls) are heavily equipped warriors. Elite Heavy Infantry when leading the fyrd.

The Orlanthi warriors are clad in chainmail (and propably some lamellar for limbs and metal reinforced helmets) and wielding swords/axes and shields, so I think one can't call them lightly equipped by any standards.

        -Adept