Re: Re: Heortling combat

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 08:48:33 -0400

Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:

> > At the risk of being a heretic, I am finding all the subdivisions of
>
> Yer a heretic, mate, and we're here to take you away to the
> re-education
> center. Come along quietly now, this won't hurt a bit

Least this should be bette than that chastizement I got from Ethilrist's Atroxi.

> At the RPG level, there is no reason to worry about the technical
> details.
> I'm in the process of statting up the "enemies" for Sartar Rising,
> including
> a typical soldier/warrior/tribesman, a "squad leader" and a typical
> "squad"
> (usually along the lines of "He leads X warriors", rather than
> re-doing
> another set of stats), and a group combat/warfare stat that will tie
> in to
> the RPG and the warfare system. When that's done, it's back to the
> minis
> rules, where "Heavy Pikemen" or "Peltast" is the equivalent of a
> keyword.
> The stats on the Glorantha site were originally for the Stratalibri
> wargame,
> which is why they have esoteric notations on them. Wargamers of the
> Ancients
> period tend to understand what a Peltast or Hoplite is, and it is a
> textual
> shoorthand to the units equipment and tactics.
>
> > I'm up for a game of Zulu Dawn.
>
> With the Heortlings taking the part of Zulus, I assume? I have a
> hankering

Yep. We did that as a rather twisted adventure last year.

> to run Zulu/Rorkes Drift myself, or the Siege of Khartoum with Duke
> Raus of
> Rone as Gordon and the Praxian tribes as the Mahdist troops. The
> Lunars in
> Pavis and Corflu have to send rescue columns along the river, facing
> duck
> piracy, newtling insurgents, tribesmen sniping from the cliffs, raids
> from
> the deep desert (er, plain)...

Hmmm. Sounds very good. Hope that Raus doesn't end up the way Gordon did.

Of course, it could be worse -- you COULD be doing Elphinstone's retreat from Afganistan....

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant