RE: Heortling combat

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:08:48 -0400

Thanks Roderick.

Oliver
-----Original Message-----
From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson [mailto:rjremr_at_...] Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 5:17 PM
To: HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Heortling combat

> I was wondering about the terms mediums, heavies, etc, in regards to the
> Heortlings. I would characterise the fyrd as being medium infantry and
the
> warriors being light heavies. Any hunters around would be light infantry.
> How does this sound to other people?

During the Warrior's Battle phase the Warriors are acting as Heavy Skirmishers (they offeset the usual slowing effects of heavy armor with movement magics). If they break the opposing line with javelins/axes, they can form a Heavy Infantry wedge to force their way inside The Fyrd Battle can be considered Medium Infantry (A thin rank of heavy warriors in front of medium-grade fyrdmen. Outside of the formation, the typical fyrdman would probably be considered light-medium (good offensive ability, so-so defensive abilty, tend to fight dispersed so as to get their sword swings without cracking their buddy upside the head).

As you can see, there is a lot of leeway in what "Light/Heavy/Skirmish/Shock" really means - and this isn't just true in Glorantha, but in the academic/,military theory world as well. I *tend* to use Light/Heavy/Medium to describe the arms & armor carried, and use another word to describe the fighting style - Skirmish, shock cvalary, hoplite, etc. Others have their own preferred manner of describing units.

RR.