Re: Interest in original Gloranthic Poser models?

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 18:27:23 -0000

> A typical low-resolution Poser mesh of a human, just the mesh, no
> joint parameters, is 231kb. This model is considered to be too
> rudimentary and blocky for most people to want to use except for
crowd
> scenes.

In an ideal world, I'd use the most detailed models I could get. But in practise... the viewer enters a bit of city where the figure is visible, so it starts to down-load. How long does it take a 231K file to down-load? Too long, I'd say.

And then once they've got it: they move, the figure moves, all those polygons have to be re-rendered. As well as the rest of the city. In real-time. I'm sure there are machines out there that can do this: but I'm also sure that your average surfer is using something lower-level.

> > I could get it, no doubt: but would this give me something I could
> > use on-line, or just something I could look at locally?
>
> That depends, what machines to you expect to hook up and what
> bandwidth do you have?

Bandwidth is down to my ISP's site, and the user's modem. Who hooks up: anyone! I've had reports back from people on Pentium 133s. My machine's a bit more capable than that: my husband set it up for MS Flight Sim.

Anyone else out there want to comment? If you want to see a virtual city on-line: what sort of connection do you have, and what sort of graphics capability? And how long does it take you to down-load a 300K file?