Re: Orlanth chained

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:18:59 -0400

Nick_at_... wrote:

> Greg writes:
>
> >> As to the Lunar prohibition. Okay, Lunars catch
> >> Heortling worshiping Orlanth- in go the nails. But
> >> what if the Lunars discover him worshipping Durev?
> >> or Starkval? What I am asking is where do they
> >> draw the dividing line (since it seem to be okay to
> >> worship, say, Barntar)?
>
> > In go the nails for Durev and Starkval. Barntar too,
> > most likely.
>
> How do you square this with (1) Orlanthi in Pavis who
> turn to worshipping Barntar to avoid Lunar persecution,
> and (2) the "Orlanthi without Orlanth" situation in Lunar
> Tarsh, as described by Mark Galeotti in UW#1?

Because Tarsh is under an older, less harsh adminstration? Tatius is a twit?
Because they are trying to drive the Sartarites into Doburdun worship rather than tolerate things benignly as they have?

> The former is from RQ era sources (and not set in
> Dragon Pass), the latter is recent and (quite painfully
> and painstakingly) flagged as unofficial; but it *does*
> seem rather unlikely to me, on the face of it, that the
> Lunars persecute all followers of any Orlanth-pantheon/
> Orlanth's-household deity, other than Orlanth himself.

Some are acknowleged to be Orlanth under another name -- Durev IS Orlanth the Young, I thought. Some are supposedly sons and the like.

> I rather liked Mark's account of visiting Orlanth's Hall
> only to find somebody missing... and I can't get my
> head around the sheer boneheadedness of a policy of
> crucifying almost every male Heortling in Dragon Pass.

Play nice. But I'd point you to who originated the boneheaded policy? Taitius? Fazzur used it as a _Threat_

Its like carrying a weapon -- they can perscute you for it IF they want. This law just makes sure that everyone is guilty of something if they need a legal excuse to be vile.

And as long as you don't OPENLY worship him, that's fine.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Kyer
BESI Interim Change Management (EP) / Consultant