Re: Odayla and the "mountain men"

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:34:28 -0000

> You're speaking of Glorantha, right? Our world has a long tradition
> of taking too much. IIRC Jared Diamond gives a good explanation of
> the extinction of North American megafauna in "Guns, Germs, and
> Steel."

Hmm, well, without going too far off topic, its possible that some of the later Amerindian concern to originate from a dim inherited memory of the megafauna period, and Lessons Learned, so to speak. Certainly, they experienced the wholesale exploitation approach taken by advancing Europeans as "unnatural":

"We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and the winding streams with tangled growth, as "wild." Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness" and only to him was the land "infested" with "wild" animals and "savage" people. To us it was tame. Earth was bountiful and we were surrounded with the blessings of the Great Mystery. Not until the hairy man from the east came and with brutal frenzy heaped injustices upon us and the families we loved was it "wild" for us. When the very animals of the forest began fleeing from his approach, then it was that for us the "Wild West" began."

Cheif Luther Standing Bear
of the Oglala band of sioux

I bought Jared Diamonds book several years ago, but loaned it to someone who vanished before I could read it myself :(