Re: Digest Number 591

From: Stacy Stroud <deadstop_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:07:07 -0400

At 12:55 PM 9/19/01 +0000, Bruce Ferrie wrote:

>There's some new stuff up on my website:
>
>How Redalda Rescued Her Foal - http://www.ellechino.demon.co.uk/Myths/foal.htm
>
>And the accompanying Redalda's Foal Heroquest -
>http://www.ellechino.demon.co.uk/Episodes/foalq.htm

Great stuff! I adore all your myths/stories; in fact, I re-read them all last night after reading this one. The Chalana Arroy/Voria story is probably my favorite -- a mix of Little Red Riding Hood and the Abduction of Persephone which simultaneously serves as a cautionary tale for the clan's children AND contains some of the White Lady's deepest secrets. Neato.

I recall someone saying (right around the time Storm Tribe came out) that Redalda is the "Vinga" of the Elmali clans -- a way for women to access Elmal's powers as well as a goddess in her own right. "How Redalda Rescued Her Foal" makes an excellent background myth for that situation, and I would imagine that the heroquest could also be used as a cult initiation for those women.

Stacy Stroud (deadstop_at_...)
Hex Entertainment, Inc. (http://www.hexgames.com)