Re: Griselda: Great Woman or Postmodernist Social Construct?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:33:04 +0100

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:59:41 -0000, "Mark Galeotti" <hia15_at_...> wrote:

>> Look at it another way - if Griselda ever becomes a capital-H Hero,
>> these will be the myths from the knowledge of which others may gain
>> magical power.
>
>Fair enough, but this is still the, well, heroic school of thought -
>Griselda grabs fate with both hands, makes herself into a hero(ine)

Actually, I was working from the other end of the idea - ALL tales start off as just stories. OK, so some of them are stories about gods, which gives them a head start when it comes to accumulating magical power.

>and then her tales somehow become myths. I'm wondering - without
>really taking a position one way or t'other yet - whether stories can
>remain just stories in Glorantha. If everyone in Pavis, trolls in the
>Rubble, Lunar soldiers back in Tarsh, etc is recounting your tales,
>embroidering them, and - given that this is Glorantha, world of
>Heroes, probably elevating her into that rank, does this have a
>magic 'charge' of its own? Can you become a Hero just because enough
>people believe strongly enough that you *are* one?

I'd like to think yes, although I'd also like to think it wouldn't work unless you deserved it! Sort of like real-world canonisation combined with fantasy magic - you can call them a Saint if you want, but will they actually have any power? Maybe Heros and Gods are just people who's stories are believed by one HELL of a lot of people?

Wulf