Re: Griselda: Great Woman or Postmodernist Social Construct?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 14:18:16 -0700

> Mark wondered :
>
> >Can you become a Hero just because enough people believe strongly enough
> that you *are* one?

Only if they actually worship you.

My feeling on the whole "story" question is "of course Gloranthans tell stories that aren't Mystic Constructs." There are all kinds of "no sh*t there I was" stories, or the time Uncle Olaf fell down the well, or even stories brought back from far away places about people or beings that "we" (whoever "we" is - Saratrite, Praxian, Kralorelan, whatever) don't know and wouldn't worship in a million years. There are even stories made up from the whole clothe. I'd be happy if 'Bad King Urgraine' never existed, except as a example of bad kingship. Not all creation myths need be true - look at the _Just So_ stories by Kipling (if you can get past the "oh my best beloveds..."). Do the Sartarites *really* know the true story of the Crimson Bat? I doubt it, but they still can speculate!

Telling a story as entertainment or for the moral of the story is a long way worshipping the heroes in it.

RR