Re: Re: Great Lovers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:26:15 +1200

Bo Rosen:

>Is there a Court of Love anywhere, btw?

Zoria IMO, although the love there is not to everybody's taste.

>Is there such a thing as courtly
>love in Glorantha, I suppose Loskalm would be a prime suspect?

More probably the Castle Coast and Kustria (where the last remnants of Rokari Chivalry remains after Theoblanc forbade it within Tanisor).

While Loskalm may have courtly love, I think it receives minor attention there as the spiritual energies of the Knights and above are supposed to directed towards God and the Ideals. The ordinary emotions are suppressed as they interfere with the attainment of the Ideals. The Ideal Love is a caricature of the real thing and only the Loskalmi are unable to see this (our heroes excluded of course). It is this unwitting alienation from human emotions that fuels the Kingdom of War and ultimately turns Loskalm into a worse horror.

Such is only my view as I view Loskalm as akin to 19th Century Germans garbed in swords and plate armour (best epitomized by a silly statue of Bismark in Hamburg).

--Peter Metcalfe