Re: Great Lovers

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:15:14 EDT

Peter:

<< >Is there such a thing as courtly
>love in Glorantha, I suppose Loskalm would be a prime suspect?

 More probably the Castle Coast and Kustria>>

     Yes, that is also a good location, I agree.

<< While Loskalm may have courtly love, I think it receives minor attention there as the spiritual energies of the Knights and above are supposed to directed towards God and the Ideals. The ordinary emotions are suppressed as they interfere with the attainment of the Ideals. The Ideal Love is a caricature of the real thing and only the Loskalmi are unable to see this (our heroes excluded of course). >>

     This isn't the way I see Loskalm, FWIW. Indeed, I see Love as one of the central underpinnings of Loskalmi society and culture - it gets mentioned a lot in SK. Mind you, that's not to say that the entire range of love is necessarily appreciated (even if the Loskalmi claim otherwise), which is why they don't think very much of the Zorians.

<<It is this unwitting alienation from human emotions that fuels the Kingdom of War and ultimately turns Loskalm into a worse horror.>>

     To my mind its the alienation, not from emotions as a whole, but specifically from the darker emotions, that fuels the KoW. Loskalm has thrown out everything which is unpleasant, or which disagrees with their 'perfect and utopian' society, and left themselves with an idealistic society that isn't always suited to coping with the outside world. All that darkness and negativity that they expunged created the KoW, but the finer emotions were left behind; this is what makes the KoW so brutal and terrifying, because its inhabitants just can't feel love, or anything much like it.

Trotsky