Re: Triads:

From: kmnellist_at_...
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 07:40:17 EDT

Some slightly tongue in cheek Triads:

Three ways to measure moolah, through a rating of Wealth, by the number of cows, by the generosity of the chief. [see hw-rules]

Three lists of things Gloranthan; the Hero Wars where things are begun, the Rules where extended contests take place, and the Digest to which all things are taken.

Three types of Heortling, those who can count cows and poets.

To overcome the two ram style, use the fiendish monster forehead, an impossible ox pounce or a laughing ghost jab. [I think I'm getting my genres confused here]

Keith Nellist

<< Two things of beauty I name, three things that bring great joy: smoke from  an altar, the flash of iron, the company of the mead horn.

 Three fools for the feast: a trickster, a juggler, a mead-mouthed warrior.

 Three famines at a feast: an empty plate, a dry cask, a man with no story to  tell.

 (as much a warning against empty tales as silence).

 A feast of feasts, great joy in my telling: Orlanth your Host, Minlister  your barrel man, and Roitina dancing free!

 ('With a Hey! With a Ho! With a Nonny Nonny Le!...")

 Three joys in the tasting: Colymar wine, Lismelder beer, and the sweet river  water where freedom dwells.

 (a subtle allusion to the banned freedom ballad 'Cold Wind Over Sartar',  with its mournful chorus, 'only our rivers run free').

 Three smiles that bring no joy: the smile of a raider, the smile of an uroxi  in his cups, the smile of an alynx ready to leap.

 Three wealths of the fortunate; a wealth of kin, a wealth of cattle, a  wealth of gods.

 Three wealths of the well-armed: the wealth of neighbours, the wealth of  enemies, the wealth of monsters.

 Three wealths of the Bull: beer, boasting, and pain without ceasure. (Uroxi)

 Three wealths of the Sword: honour, blood, and loneliness. (Humakti).

 Three wealths of the Storm Tribe: Generosity, Courage, and Change.  Three wealths of the Earth Tribe: Wisdom, Plenty, and Power.  Three wealths of the joined tribes: Generosity in Wisdom, Courage in Plenty,  Power in Change.

 Three taboos for a chief: a feast hall lacking ale, a weaponthane lacking  torcs, a fyrd lacking a champion.

 Three harsh things at the hearth: burnt stew, a scolding hearthmistress, a  sullen steadmaid*.

 (*a steadmaiden is a minor air daimon responsible for clearing smoke - a  sullen steadmaid means a smoky hearth!)