RE: Milk & Moonies

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:55:28 +1000

> From: John Hughes [mailto:nysalor_at_...]

> >'twas John Hughes. However I don't think it's true as the
> >Lunars do have a Milk Goddess, MemEnari.

> T'was a light-hearted attempt to convey and translate the fact that 90%+ of humans
> are lactose intolerant. (As recently as ten thousand years ago, *all* humans were
> lactose-intolerant once they ceased being weaned. The mutation is a Northern
> European one). Westerners who *do* drink milk have a very distinctive smell that
> non milk drinkers often notice and can sometimes find offensive.
>
> Heortlings *are* milk drinkers, and butter-churners as well, and in my campaigns
> these have become common insults hurled by moonies at bewildered tribesmen and
> women.

It's one of those tid-bits that can make a high class Lunar NPC more entertaining.

Imagine him sniffing his hankerchief in Boldhome, exclaiming that "the locals are filthy and absolutely reek, I mean, you can smell the cows milk they drink. Now, kind sir, give me a Gin and Tonic and don't bruise the ice!" Then imagine the look on the Heortling barman's face...

It might just end up being true in my Glorantha. Besides, the Lunar empire is big, maybe there's a few places where they don't drink milk or perhaps it's a low class thing.

"Of course the peasants drink milk, they can hardly help it, can they, but really, it's not a drink for the civilised man, is it, now?"

Harry.