Re: Questions: Humakti Honor

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 12:31:38 +1300

Benedict Adamson wrote:

>Peter Metcalfe wrote:

> > People fear Humakti because they are followers of a Death
> > God.

>So they follow a death god. So what. Why should Heortlings fear
>someone just because they follow a death god?

Because they fear death.

>Death is not feared or
>considered repugnant by Heortlings in the same way that it is by
>western Europeans.

         Humakt:  [...]  To his barbarian followers, Humakt is
         a frightening but necessary agent of eternal change who
         can be used in a noble but courageous way to preserve
         the world.
                         Glorantha: Intro p152.

Hence Humakt/Death is not just another god in the storm pantheon but a deeply scary one.

>One of Orlanth's key acts was a SLAYING. All
>Orlanthi bear weapons. Violence is always an option.

Violence is not the same as Death. That Orlanth kills is undisputed but that he does so lightly is not.

> > That it's a chaotic thing to do is irrelevant
> > as Humakt permits chaotic worshippers.

>Humakt is part of the Heortling pantheon, and so must be as opposed
>to chaos as all other members of the pantheon.

Humakt has severed all relations and does not belong to the Heortling Pantheon anymore than he belongs to the Carmanians, the Ducks or to Ralzakark. His worshippers can find acceptable ways to participate in those societies (cf the severing and the resheathing ritual in Storm Tribe p96) and share their mores (for the Heortlings, this includes hating chaos and the moon), but Humakt does not care.

> > Secret Murder is an Orlanthi crime.

>It is a Heortling crime; a crime against *society*, not a cult.

It is also an Alakoring crime, a Talasting crime and a Sylilan crime. For these reasons, it is permissible to speak of an Orlanthi society. The distinction between cult and society is irrelevant here as Orlanth makes the rules.

>As
>Humakti are part of the same society, it is as much a crime for them.

But we are not talking about social crime, we are talking about religious crimes against Humakt (mortal sins that require excommunication or death).

--Peter Metcalfe