Re: More Yanafal Questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:28:04 +1300

Morgan Conrad wrote:

>The whole Yanafal story confuses me anyway. Here we have the
>Carmanians, die hard Invisible God Dualists, who flee the west cause
>the God Learners were up to no good. But then they start taking up
>worship of local gods. To me, this makes as much sense as the
>Mormons fleeing to Salt Lake and then taking up worship of Native
>American Gods.

The Carmanians (or their ancestors) weren't all die-hard Malkioni, and had a lot pagan troops serving them. Some of these troops worshipped Humakt. When the Carmanians reached western Peloria, they came into contact with native sorcerers. They had a contest to see whose sorcerous faith was right and the sorcerers won.

The Carmanians were devastated by this and after killing every sorcerer they could possibly find (although they weren't completely successful), they concluded that their faith had become tainted by the Lie*. This was the reason for their defeats by the God Learners and the native Sorcerers.

The Carmanians then examined everything in their faith to see what was Truth and what was Lie. They found that the worship of pagan gods was not false and so the Carmanians began to worship gods (both native and imported - i.e. the gods that their pagan troops worshipped, including Humakt).

*If you ever get look up the Behistun Inscriptions, then you know the sense in which it is to be intoned.

--Peter Metcalfe